Cheesy Chicken from the oven! Thin slices of chicken breast filled with cream cheese and spinach, topped with an almond-parmesan mix, and finally baked until golden brown.
Makes 2 generous servings
2 large chicken breasts
175g fresh spinach
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100g soft cream cheese
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Sea salt to taste
Fresh black pepper, from the mill
1 tsp dried thyme
olive oil for frying and greasing the baking pan
metal or wooden sticks to hold the rolls together
- Before starting to cook, prepare the chicken breasts. The earlier you do this, the better as the salt has more time to diffuse into the meat and season it from within. First, flatten the breasts with a big knife or your hands, then cut each breast in two parts, slicing them diagonally to make them even thinner. Season with sea salt and set aside. They’ll best be kept at room temperature during the hour before cooking.
- Wash and rinse the spinach leaves thoroughly. Set a few tender leaves aside for garnish. Put a pan to medium heat, then add olive oil and stir in the spinach leaves. Saute quickly, while adding some sea salt – until the leaves start wilting. Shove spinach to the side of the pan, creating a circle in the middle where you add the chopped garlic in a small extra drop of oil. Fry for 10 seconds or until fragrant, then mix garlic into the spinach and set the mix aside to cool and drain a bit. This whole process shouldn’t take longer than 3 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Squeeze remaining water out of the spinach and cut it into small pieces with a large knife. Mix with cream cheese. Spread the chicken meat onto a tray and cover them evenly with the spinach-cheese mix. Generously sprinkle with black pepper from the mill and season more to taste if needed. Now comes the tricky part: Roll the meat up loosely and fix with a metal or wooden stick. Your chicken rolls don’t have to be tightly wrapped up, rather try to squeeze out as little of the filling as possible. Put chicken rolls into a baking tray, greased a little with olive oil. Place remaining sauteed spinach between the rolls if you have some left.
- Whip the egg in one bowl and mix ground almond with parmesan and thyme in another. Spread egg onto the chicken rolls and then cover them with the almond parmesan mix – a bit like batter.
- Bake chicken rolls for 25 minutes – and then boost the temprature to 200 degrees C/390 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for an additional 5 minutes at the higher heat for browning.
Do your kids eat spinach? My boys don’t so I roll up their chicken breasts with just seasoned cream cheese inside and serve them cucumber and carrot sticks on the side.
- Category: meal
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: generous plate
- Calories: 712
- Fat: 50.1g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5g net carbs
- Protein: 55.9g