Delicious keto hazelnut macaroons! Make these low carb macaroons in a whirlwind as a quick yummy holiday cookie fix.
Makes about 30 pieces
250g ground hazelnuts
3 egg whites
200g granulated white keto sweetener, such as erythritol
30 whole hazelnuts for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius and prepare a baking tray by covering it with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Whisk up egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add erythritol and stir well. Then use a spatula to mix in the hazelnuts. The dough should be soft but not runny when you form little piles. If it is too runny, add more hazelnuts (also see note).
- Use two spoon to place around 30 little heaps of your egg white mix on the baking tray. Put a hazelnut on top of each heap.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. They are ready when appearing firm and a little golden.
- Pull out the tray and let your macaroons cool down before touching them. They are very delicate when warm and still soft. By cooling, they will become harder, crispier and better to handle. Once at room temperature, you can easily remove them from the tray with a spatula.
Tipp One: If your dough is runny and you have bought the exact amount of ground hazelnuts and can’t add more – use a small amount of ground almonds instead. That will help with the texture without affecting the taste.
Tipp Two: In order to avoid tossing your egg yolks, think about how you may be able to use them. You can either bake other cookies requiring yolks, or prepare some low carb Schnitzel for which you can use the yolks as a dip (instead of the whole eggs most recipes ask for – the taste will be the same). See my post above for hints and links.
- Category: low carb sweets
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: German