Delicious low carb apple puree! Super easy to make with keto sweetener and only five ingredients – including the apples
Makes two large mason jars
2 kg of chopped apples, seeds and stems removed, but skin on
200ml water (a little under 1 cup for recipe as originally written)
1 cup erythritol or other granulated low carb sweetener
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Chop your apples as described. You can use damaged apples from windfalls as well if you generously cut out putrid spots or wormholes. Keep skins on as they are full of healthy nutrients!
- Put your apples in a pot, add the water and put to medium heat.
- When the mix is boiling, add erythritol and spices. Stir well and lower temperature. Simmer your apple mix for 20-25 minutes on low heat, regularly stirring. If your mix stops simmering, turn up the temperature a little. But it should not boil wildly. If the temperature is too high, pieces may stick to the bottom of the pot towards the end.
- When the apple pieces have softened and start to fall apart, remove the pot from your heat sauce. Blend the mix inside the pot into the desired texture with your hand blender.
- Pour your apple puree into the prepared mason jars. If you sterilise the mason jars with boiling water before filling in the apple puree, it will last for several weeks. Otherwise, put your jars into the fridge. Unopened, they will last up to 2 weeks if your jars seal well.