Zucchini pasta with a delicious creamy chicken mushroom sauce. Easy keto family dinner!
Get more tips on ingredients and the recipe above in the blog post!
For 2 servings:
2 chicken breasts
250g/9oz brown mushrooms
2 large zucchinis
1 cup whipping cream (whipping cream contains at least 30% fat, you can sub with heavy cream which boasts 36% fat or more).
1/3 cup homemade or granulated vegetable stock
3 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying
- Cut your chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Put them into a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Mix well with your clean hands or two spoons. Set aside while preparing the remaining ingredients. That way, the salt has time to diffuse into the meat and season it from within.
- Spiralize zucchinis with a handheld or electric spiralizer and put the zoodles into a sieve. Add some salt, mix well with your hands – and set aside over your sink for 10 to 15 minutes to drain water. After that time, squeeze as much water as possible from the zucchini noodles to keep them crunchy when cooking.
- Chop your mushrooms into quarters or slices. For larger mushrooms, slices are better. You may even cut the slices in half if too large. Chop onions and garlic into small pieces.
- Put a non-stick pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Put onions and garlic into the hot oil, stirring constantly. Once the onions become translucent, enter the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for a while. While sautéing, keep stirring the mushrooms, and add salt and pepper. The mushrooms will start to emit some water. They are ready when they shrink, become browner and slightly shiny.
- Now, add your chicken. Enter the pieces into the pan and carefully mix them into the mushrooms. Keep frying at medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the cream and stock, stirring well. Add more salt and pepper, and put heat up to bring the sauce to the boil. It should only boil up for a short moment, so you need to reduce the heat to low immediately when the sauce is bubbling. Keep simmering on the low heat for a few minutes. Taste, and adjust salt and pepper if needed, and remove from the heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, start cooking the zucchini pasta. Put a non-stick pan to medium heat and pour in olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the drained and squeezed zucchini noodles. Stir constantly and sprinkle with a little more salt and black pepper. The zoodles are ready when starting to change color into bright green. This should not take longer than 3-4 minutes. The goal is to keep them crisp but not raw.
- Serve immediately, topped with your creamy chicken mushroom sauce. YUM!
It is important that your sauce is ready when or before the zoodles are. This is because the zucchini pasta cools rather quickly. So once they are ready, serve your meal immediately. To keep the zucchini noodles warm, you may want to warm the plates in the oven.
If you boil Italian pasta for non-low carb eaters, the noodles should go into the pot roughly at the time your chicken enters the pan – both will need 8-10 minutes to finish.
For extra richness, add a little bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Category: meals
- Method: chop and fry
- Cuisine: European