How about a crunchy delicious salad bowl? Slightly bitter chicory and arugula leaves are combined perfectly with the subtle sweetness of red pepper and mild mozzarella cubes, tossed into a bowl with vinaigrette.
For 2 servings as standalone light meal or more people as a side
1 handful of arugula leaves, stems mostly removed
1 red bell pepper
1 cup Italian style mozzarella balls
For the vinaigrette:
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp dried basil
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper from the mill
- Wash the arugula and remove most part of the stems. Fill water into a bowl, and add 1 tsp of sea salt and a splash of vinegar. Put the arugula leaves into the water and set aside to macerate for 15 minutes. This will remove any excess bitterness.
- Meanwhile, pour olive oil, red wine vinegar and mustard into a nice salad bowl and stir swiftly with a fork to create an emulsion. Mix in dried basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the chicory; you may have to remove the outer leaves. Cut it into stripes, keeping the stems. You only need to remove the end.
- Open red bell pepper, remove seeds and white parts, and chop it into cubes with some 1-2 cm side length.
- Pull out the arugula out of the water when ready and drain. Mix all ingredients in the salad bowl and serve.
If you’d like the salad with more bite, add roasted pumpkin seeds or chopped walnuts.
- Category: salads
- Method: chop and mix
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 343
- Fat: 26g
- Carbohydrates: 4.1 g net carbs
- Protein: 10.9