Healthy, crunchy and a burst of color: Red Cabbage salad with avocado, green salad, cucumber, grapefruit and cashew nuts, laced with a fine tahini dressing!
Serves 2 for a generous full meal or more as a side
For the salad:
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
1 cup green lettuce leaves, cut in stripes
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashew nuts
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Pinch of chili powder (optional)
For the Tahini dressing:
3 tbsp Tahini
2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated ginger (or a pinch of ginger powder)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp coconut sugar or low carb sweetener
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Heat a pan and pour in the coconut oil. Saute the onion slices until they start to brown and caramelize. The longer you go on, the sweeter and darker they become. Take them out whenever you feel they’re just right and and set them aside to cool a bit.
- Now prepare your dressing: Mix Tahini with all other ingredients. Add water if too dry or sticky in order to achieve the right smooth texture.
- Open the grapefruit and carefully take out the flesh, separating it from the skins. Slice the avocado. Mix cabbage, salad, cucumber, grapefruit, sauteed onion and half of the avocado in a large flat bowl.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the tahini dressing over the salad, place the remaining avocado slices on top, and sprinkle cashew nuts across the salad. If you like, spice it up with a little bit of chili powder.
You can keep the remaining tahini dressing in a sealed container in the fridge for several days.
The two servings as a full meal are generous! This salad is really satisfying and will keep you going for quite some time.
- Category: salads
- Method: chop and mix
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 564
- Fat: 42.6g
- Carbohydrates: 30.7g net carbs
- Protein: 13.4g