Crispy, fresh low carb beauties for the festive season! Traditional German coconut macaroons made with keto sweetener and a splash of lemon juice.
Yields about 20 depending on size
4 egg whites
2 cups desiccated coconut
4 tbsp erythritol
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1/2 lemon
pinch of fine sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees celsius/340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the egg whites into a relatively firm foam, trickling in the salt while stirring. The peaks should not waver when you move the bowl a little bit. Then stir in erythritol and lemon juice.
- Gently add the desiccated coconut and lemon zest by hand with a spoon or rubber spatula. Be careful not to break down the foam. Let the mix rest for 30 minutes, so the coconut can soak up some liquid.
- Use a spoon to form to scoop the batter onto a baking tray – that is either greased or covered by multiple-use silicone parchment sheets or parchment paper.
- Bake the macaroons for 20 minutes. They should be a little crispy and slightly golden on the outside, but not browned.
If you like some extra chocolatey taste, you can melt a few pieces of dark chocolate (at least 85% cocoa content) and splash it over your macaroons.
Nutritional value is calculated per macaroon, assuming you make 20 pieces and use no chocolate.
- Category: sweets and desserts
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: macaroons
- Calories: 55
- Fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7g net carbs
- Protein: 1.3g