Quick tapenade cabbage boats: A healthy low carb snack based on cabbage leaves and the famous Italian olive spread. Add other goodies such as feta, salmon, nuts or small mozzarella cubes!
For 1 jar of tapenade
50g pitted black olives
50g pitted green olives
3 anchovy fillets
Olive oil to taste
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the cabbage boats
Leaves of red and white cabbage
Toppings: smoked salmon, Italian mozzarella cubes, feta cubes – amount depending on the number of boats you’re making.
Optional other toppings are fresh herbs (parsley, mint, cilantro), seeds, chopped nuts, a small dollop of yogurt or pomegranate. You may even try caramelized walnuts if you don’t mind the extra carbs.
- Drain the olives and capers. Chop the olives and the anchovies and put all ingredients into a bowl.
- Use a hand blender or a food processor to blend your mix into a paste, adding some olive oil along the way if you need more in order to achieve a thick creaminess with just a few small chunks.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not to overdose on the salt, as the other ingredients are already quite salty. So make sure to taste while adding your salt.
- As the tapenade will be plenty, you decide how many boats you’d like to make. Cut a chunk out of your cabbages and carefully separate the leaves without breaking them. Then, slowly rip them into as many palm-sized pieces as you need. Generously spread your tapenade on the leaves.
- Now, add your toppings. Place mozzarella and smoked salmon together on one half of your boats, while putting feta cubes on the remaining half.
- For storage, fill your tapenade in a sealed glass container and it will easily last for a week in the fridge.
Nutrition info covers one jar of tapenade. Cooking time includes making your own fresh tapenade.
Feel free to experiment with other toppings such as fresh herbs, seeds, nuts, a small dollop of yogurt or pomegranate.
- Category: snacks and starters
- Method: chop and mix
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: 1 jar
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 19.8g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g net carbs
- Protein: 27.8g