Creamy, easy zucchini soup! Suitable as a starter or full meal: Zucchinis cooked and blended with coconut cream, spiced up with curry and chili, topped with salmon, feta and parsley leaves
For 2 large bowls
2 large or 3 small zucchinis, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
250ml water or vegetable stock
100 ml coconut milk
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste
2 slices of smoked salmon, cut in pieces
1/2 cup feta cubes
Parsley leaves for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot and quickly stir-fry onion until transparent, and add garlic for another minute or so.
- Pour in the water or broth, and stir to remove onions and garlic from the bottom of your pot. Bring to a boil, and add the zucchini pieces. Bring to a boil again and add coconut milk, some salt. and the chilli powder or cayenne pepper Simmer at medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. It’s ready when the zucchini pieces are soft. If you feel there’s too much liquid, carefully remove some of it, saving it in case you’d like to add it again after pureeing.
- Take the pot off the stove and puree the soup with a hand blender inside the pot. Afterwards, put the pot back onto the stove, now set on very low heat. Stir in the curry powder and taste whether you’d like to add more salt. If needed, mix in pinches of salt step by step and taste every time, until the soup is just right and unfolds a rich flavour.
- Sprinkle the toppings over the soup when serving.
If you’d like to keep your soup dinner plant-based and still like some toppings other than nuts, use Brussels sprouts! They’re go really well with this soup, either sauteed or roasted, and cut in halves.
Nutrition information is based on a bowl of soup including 1 tbsp of feta and a slice of smoked salmon. Without those, fat and protein content is lower while carbs stay about the same.
- Category: soup
- Method: cook and simmer
- Cuisine: European
- Serving Size: 2 portions as full meal
- Calories: 269
- Fat: 14.7g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7g net carbs
- Protein: 8.3g